Your Ultimate Guide To Write The Perfect Resume
Project managers have a significant professional role in an organization. Irrespective of the industry where you work, project managers have a vital role to play in conducting the operations. Do you also want to take your career to the next level by applying for the role of a project manager? It all starts with the right resume! Write the resume with utmost care and by following the right ways to make the first impression on-point.
Project Manager – Understanding the job role.
Who are project managers in an organization? They are professionals, usually experienced in their field. They manage and direct the project operations and handle a team. They connect with the clients directly and perform the following duties –
- Project planning
- Project management
- Project monitoring
- Budget and risk management
- Research and execution support
Project managers can serve in distinct industries like – IT, healthcare, software development, construction, etc.
How to write a Project Manager Resume?
How is writing a project manager resume distinct from the regular resume content? There are a few aspects that differ in this case. When you apply for a specific job profile with your resume, you have to construct it wisely. Prepare the resume content by matching with the job requirements. Exhibit the skills you have in an impressive way and mention the relevant features you have that make you apt for the role.
The right keywords – Recruiters use ATS to review the resume at the initial stage. Ensure to use the right keywords in the Project Management resume to help it match with the criteria. Every job role contains a few keywords that hold significance in the resume content. Here are some crucial keywords you can use in the resume content to highlight your skills and match your profile with the criteria –
- Client communication
- Management and analysis
- Data analysis and modeling
- Financial analysis
- Process and project development
- Risk analysis and management
- Quality control
The right representation – Use the reverse-chronological format to represent your overall work experience. Ensure that the resume content is informative. Do not brag about the achievements as it does not create a good impression. Highlight your expertise and use bullets for noteworthy skills. Include your previous work responsibilities and achievements alongside mentioning relevant educational information. Include the essential information by segmenting them into sections, so that it gets easy to read at a glance.
The right layout – Several templates and project manager resume formats are available in the digital space. You have to find the right one and use it. You can also seek professional guidance in constructing your resume. They can help you write the resume content and find the best visual format to impress the recruiter. Segmentize the resume content into the following parts –
- Header with contact information
- Resume summary or career objective
- Work Experience and achievements
- Educational qualifications
- Skills – Highlight the relevant ones
- Additional sections – Certifications, Conferences, Volunteering, etc.
Resume Tips for a Project Manager
Besides finding the right template for the resume, it is essential to focus on the elementary rules of framing an impressive resume. Here are a few tips to make your resume top-notch and striking among the rest –
- Single page resume – Ensure to keep the resume to one page. A long resume does not make a good impact, especially if there is repetition. If you have to make it more than one page, seek the guidance of a professional resume writer to structure it well.
- Resume Summary – A resume summary in a Project Management resume is vital if you are shifting to a new industry. It generates a good first impression with a brief intro about your career objective and goals. Make it compact and do not write more than three lines as the summary.
- Ease of scanning – Write clear section headings so the recruiter can understand them at once. Experience, skills, education, etc. are the crucial sections that a recruiter looks for in a resume. Highlight the skills and use bullets to bring focus to the relevant areas of expertise. It will help your resume profile to stand out from the crowd.
- Review and proofread – Review the resume content or get it checked by a professional. Nothing makes a worse impression than a typo or grammatical error in the resume content. Use the grammar checking tools to stay assured of zero-grammatical flaws.
Example for Project manager resume
Summary / Career objective – [ 2 – 3 lines. Mention your work experience and key skills in a gist]
[Tenure and job location]
[Explain the on-job duties and responsibilities. Mention accomplishments and skills that are relevant for the job you are applying for]
[Example – 2010–2013, MBA
[Mention year and certification detail in one line. Use bullets for multiple certifications]
- Proficient in MS Office
- Project Scheduling and management
- Strategic Planning & Analysis
- Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Business Development
- Vendor Management]
Awards and Accolades
[Mention in one line. Use bullets for multiple awards]
Industry-specific resume content for Project Manager – Use the format mentioned in the example but you must add industry-specific skills and competencies in the resume. You can use these skills and keywords in the resume while applying for the following roles –
Construction project manager resume –
- Construction Project Timing & Delivery
- Large-Scale & High-Budget Projects
- Residential Construction
- Commercial Construction
- CM At-Risk and Public-Private Partnerships
- Leadership Skills
- Problem Solving
Entry-level project manager –
- Project Coordination
- Client communication
- Agile Project Management
- Requirements Analysis
- Program Management
- Project Planning
IT project manager resume –
- Specialized software skills (should be relevant to the applied job)
- Reporting and stakeholder management
- Team management and coordination
- Resource planning and deployment
- Timeline management
- Cost assessment and budget management
- Conflict resolution
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Research and information gathering
How can Writrox help you?
Are you confused with the resume content? Do not miss out on the chance of landing your dream job by sending an unimpressive resume. Get in touch with Writrox, your ultimate resume resolver. Get proficient and experienced writers to construct a project manager resume for you. Secure your career with expert assistance and build a resume that stands out among the rest.